Vegan Potato Salad is a healthy version of traditional potato salad. However, this Healthy Potato Salad Recipe is so delicious you’ll never go back to regular potato salad! We substitute chickpeas for eggs in this recipe which adds the egg texture and color but is much healthier! So, if you’re looking for a Vegan Potato Salad Recipe that’s healthy and tastes amazing, give this Chickpea Potato Salad a try!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Very tasty! I don’t care if it’s summer time or not, I’ll eat this any day of the week! This Vegan Potato Salad, beyond being healthy, is just as tasty as it’s original counterpart. Potato salad is a traditional recipe in my family and when I heard there might be Vegan versions of this recipe I was excited to give it a try. What I love about this recipe is the use of chickpeas instead of eggs and Vegan mayo in place of regular mayo. That’s why the chickpeas in this Chickpea Potato Salad are perfect because chickpeas do have a somewhat egg-like taste and texture. Also, the pickles and dill really bring the recipe to life and it stands up well on any picnic table!
- Easy to make. This Healthy Potato Salad comes together easily; boil some potatoes, chop up your pickles, onions celery and you’re done! You don’t need any special equipment to make this recipe, you’ve got everything you need already in your kitchen! That’s why this Vegan Potato Salad Recipe comes together so quickly!
- Healthy. This recipe is healthy! Why? Because you’re substituting chickpeas for eggs and you’re using Vegan mayo. All other ingredients are healthy. That’s why we are going to feature a few ingredients here and tell you about their health benefits.
Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
- Dill pickles
- Vegan mayo
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Vegan Potato Salad
- Cook potatoes. Boil potatoes roughly 15 minutes, let cool, and peel.
- Cut veggies. Chop celery, dice pickles and onions.
- Mash chickpeas. Drain, wash, and lightly crush chickpeas in a bowl.
- Prepare potatoes. Cut potatoes into cubes.
- Make dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Mix everything. Add all ingredients into a single bowl, pour dressing over the top and toss thoroughly.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes or they will likely not stay cubed but will fall apart when you mix the salad.
- Don’t mash all the chickpeas; a few whole chickpeas adds character and texture to the recipe.
- Add extra Vegan mayo for a more creamy texture.
- Use dry dill instead of fresh
- Add carrots
- Add pepperoncini’s to spice things up a bit
- Use white onion instead of red
- Use lime juice instead of lemon
If you enjoyed this Vegan Plate Chickpea Potato Salad recipe, here are other healthy salad recipes you may enjoy!
Vegan Salad Recipes
Looking for more Vegan alternatives to traditional recipes like this one?
Vegan Plate Recipes
- 1/3 cup dill pickles, diced
- 7 medium-sized red potatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup green onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large pot, add a pinch of salt, fill with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to gentle to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Once potatoes are done cooking, drain the water and fill the pot with cold water and let potatoes cool. Once they are cooled, peel the skin away.
- While potatoes are cooking, cut up the pickles, onions, celery, and dill. Mash the chickpeas lightly in a separate bowl; it's ok to not mash all the chickpeas if you like a slightly chunkier salad.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, Dijon, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a large bowl, place the potatoes, pickles, onions, celery, dill, and chickpeas. Pour the dressing over the top and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 390mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.