Vegan Pizza is quick, easy, so delicious, and now healthy! We made this recipe even easier by using a flour tortilla for the crust thereby making it a Tortilla Pizza. The crispiness of the flour tortilla mimics a flat bread pizza so well you won’t know the difference! This is also a Vegan Pizza because we replaced cheese and meat with Vegan cheese and fresh vegetables. You’re family will love this Tortilla Pizza Recipe; it truly is the Best Vegan Pizza!
This recipe is truly one of the easiest recipes you can make for your family and they will love you for it! You can easily use many of the ingredients you commonly keep around your house: a can of beans, some tomatoes, a little onion, and a large tortilla or two. What’s great about this pizza is the crispy tortilla which has a flat-bread pizza texture and the barbecue adobo sauce has just the right amount of spice to mimic your favorite barbecue pizza!
Vegan Pizza Recipe
- Pinto beans
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Vegan cheese
- Barbecue sauce
- Adobo sauce
How to Make Vegan Pizza
- Heat oven. Preheat oven around 350F.
- Baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and place the tortilla flat on it.
- Sauce. In a small bowl, mix barbecue and adobo sauce together.
- Apply sauce. Use a pastry-brush to apply the sauce mixture evenly to the tortilla surface.
- Toppings. Spread pinto beans, cheese, and red onion evenly over the tortilla
- Bake. Place Tortilla Pizza in a toaster over or conventional oven and bake for roughly 8 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden-brown, crisp.
- Garnish. Sprinkle fresh tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro evenly over the top.
We found that the sides of the pizza, especially when using a large tortilla, have a tendency to rise and fold into a bowl-like shape. To prevent this from happening make sure you place enough sauce and toppings as close to the edges of the pizza as you can, leaving enough room for a slight crust. If the edges of the pizza do rise, don’t fret; you can gently push them down when the pizza is done cooking.
What Tortilla Size Should Be Used?
For this recipe we used 12-inch large burrito-sized tortillas in order to make a large-sized pizza. However, feel free to use any tortilla size you like. Mini pizzas are also wonderful and you can use an 8-inch taco-sized flour tortilla for these. Flour tortillas come in the following sizes: 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch.
Corn or Flour Tortillas?
For this recipe you are going to want to use only flour tortillas. Not only do corn tortillas cook differently but the flavor of corn wouldn’t play well with this recipe.
- Use red or green bell peppers for toppings.
- Make it a traditional Italian-style pizza by using pasta sauce, cannellini beans, Vegan mozzarella and mushrooms.
- Add some Vegan ranch dressing as seen below. This works especially well as a substitute if you aren’t a fan of Vegan cheese.
Is This Vegan Pizza Recipe Healthy?
Vegan Pizza is healthy! We are using all fresh ingredients, no meat, and no cheese. Here are just a few of the ingredients and their health benefits.
- Red onions are high in B vitamins including Folate and B6 which are beneficial for metabolism, cognitive and nerve function (1).
- Pinto beans are high in antioxidants which protect cells from damage by free radicals (2).
- Cilantro is also high in antioxidants which are beneficial for reducing inflammation (3).
We hope you enjoyed this Vegan Plate recipe! Here are some similar recipes you’ll love!
Vegan Italian Food Recipes
- 1 large (12 inch) burrito-size flour tortilla
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1/2 cup Vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, cut into slivers
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and lay tortilla flat on it.
- In a bowl, mix together the barbecue and adobo sauce
- With a pastry brush, spread the barbecue adobo mixture evenly over the surface of the tortilla.
- Spread pinto beans, cheese, and red onion evenly over the tortilla.
- Bake pizza in toaster oven at 350F for roughly 8 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp.
- Garnish with tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 599Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1368mgCarbohydrates: 104gFiber: 13gSugar: 43gProtein: 21g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.