Vegan Macaroni Salad is simple comfort food! Made with fresh veggies, pasta, and a creamy dressing, this Vegan Mac Salad is perfect served at barbecues, picnics, or your next weekend get-together with friends. With only a few ingredients and minimal preparation, this Vegan Macaroni Salad Recipe is so easy to make that it will become a regular staple in your home!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Great flavor! This Vegan Mac Salad is one of my favorites. When I was young my family would often buy sandwiches from a little delicatessen called Sir Rogers. Their signature side was a macaroni salad with simple but comforting flavors. It came in small serving cups and I remember thinking that it wasn’t enough. I could’ve eaten a bucket-load of the stuff. That’s why this recipe is so dear to me and was designed to mirror that of my childhood favorite as closely as possible. The key ingredient in the Sir Rogers recipe is white pepper. White pepper adds a subtle warmth and depth to the flavors. That’s why I’ve added it to this recipe and the flavor and memories of childhood come echoing back with every bite!
- Easy to make. This salad comes together in under 20 minutes and minimal preparation is required. You won’t break a sweat, I promise!
- Healthier than traditional macaroni salad. Because we are using vegan mayo in this recipe and omitting ham (which is traditionally included in macaroni salad) this version is considerably healthier. Now, let’s discuss a few of the ingredients in this salad and their health benefits. Frequent consumption of carrots is believed to lower bad cholesterol levels. Because green peas contain significant amounts of fiber they promote healthy digestion. Finally, bell peppers are a rich source of antioxidants. (1)(2)(3)
How to Make Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Cook pasta. Boil pasta according to instructions on the package. Once the pasta is cooked, rinse it under cold water using a strainer.
- Make dressing. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until they are thoroughly combined and creamy.
- Mix salad ingredients with dressing. Add pasta, bell pepper, celery, onion, carrots, and peas to a large mixing bowl. Pour dressing over the top and toss to combine.
- Serve. Add extra dill as a garnish and serve.
This classic salad is commonly served at barbecues and picnics. With that in mind, here are some great serving ideas.
- Serve with Lentil Burgers or any type of vegan burger.
- Serve alongside other classic vegan salads like Vegan Potato Salad or Greek Potato Salad.
- Pair with vegan hot dogs and sandwiches.
Can I Prepare Vegan Macaroni Salad in Advance?
Yes! If you’re using this Vegan Macaroni Salad Recipe for meal prep, the best way to do this is by storing the vegetables and dressing separately in the refrigerator. Make the noodles fresh on days when you plan on eating the salad. Why not store the cooked pasta you ask? Because pasta doesn’t tend to keep well for more than two days. Additionally, cooked pasta gets dry and clumps together.
Easy Vegan Salad Recipes
See all Vegan Salad Recipes on The Vegan Plate!
- 1 lb. elbow pasta
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 Cup of celery, diced
- 1-1/2 Cups peas, thawed
- 1 Cup of carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
For the Macaroni Dressing
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Add water and pasta to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook according to package directions. When pasta has finished cooking, pour into a strainer and run cold water over it.
- Using a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients together using a whisk until creamy and thoroughly combined.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, bell pepper, onion, celery, carrots, peas, and dressing; toss thoroughly to ensure all ingredients are coated with dressing.
- Serve garnished with extra dill.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.