Vegan Cream Cheese is made with raw cashews and non-dairy yogurt. It’s smooth, creamy, and spreads over toast and bagels like the real thing! This recipe comes together quickly with few ingredients and minimal preparation.
One of my more ambitious goals for The Vegan Plate has been to provide as many great non-dairy substitute recipes as possible. I want to be your go-to for all things vegan, especially when you get a craving for traditional dairy-based foods.
I’m rather pleased with how well this recipe turned out. Cashews are the perfect nut for dairy-free substitutes like this Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe. That’s because the flavor of cashews are not only mild but milk-like.
I use cashews as a base for my Vegan Heavy Cream recipe also!
After I finished making the first batch of what I consider the Best Vegan Cream Cheese, I toasted some bagels and took it for a test drive. Thick but light and airy, it spreads smoothly over a nice toasty surface.
Now let’s dive in and talk about how to make this awesome Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe!
Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe
- Raw cashews. You’ll be soaking these cashews either overnight or in hot water for 30 minutes to soften them so they break down easier.
- Lemon juice. Use fresh squeezed lemon juice. This will add a slight tang which is common to cream cheese.
- Non-dairy yogurt. I use unsweetened non-dairy yogurt as a thickening agent. It also produces a creamy texture.
- Apple cider vinegar. Vinegar is also used for adding a little tang.
How To Make Vegan Cream Cheese
- Soak cashews. You can do this by either soaking them in a dish placed in the refrigerator overnight or by placing them in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients. Drain cashews and add them to a blender or food processor along with unsweetened non-dairy yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and make adjustments if needed. Add more lemon juice, salt, or yogurt as needed to reach desired flavor and texture.
- Serve or refrigerate. You can serve immediately after making or store in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to a week.
The key to making this recipe spot-on is to soak your cashews and then blend them thoroughly. You can soak the cashews in cold water in a small bowl placed in the refrigerator overnight, which is probably the best option. Or, if you’re impatient like me, you can soak them in hot water for 30 minutes.
Make sure you only use unsweetened non-dairy yogurt.
- Chive and onion cream cheese. Add in some chopped chives and onion powder.
- Dill cream cheese. Add in some finely minced fresh dill.
- Sun dried tomato cream cheese. Toss in sun dried tomatoes.
- Garlic and herb cream cheese. Add either minced garlic or garlic powder with Italian seasoning.
What Can I Use Vegan Cream Cheese With?
Let me start by telling you what you should not use it for; do not use this recipe for cheesecakes or as a frosting. This recipe is really best when used on bagels and toast.
Vegan Cream Cheese can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it in a freezer bag or container for up to a month.
Is Vegan Cream Cheese Healthy?
Yes! Vegan Cream Cheese is considerably healthier than the dairy version. Two main ingredients in this recipe are cashews and vinegar. Cashews are high in unsaturated fats and magnesium, both of which are beneficial for heart health. Vinegar may promote weight loss in addition to regulating blood sugar levels. (1)(2)(3)
As always, I appreciate your joining me for another awesome plant-based recipe!
Looking For More Dairy Substitute Recipes?
Check Out Our Other Vegan Breakfast Recipes.
- 1 Cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 Cup non-dairy yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Place two cups of water into a medium-sized pot and heat over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and pour raw cashews into hot water and let soak for roughly 30 minutes.
- Remove cashews from hot water and place in a food processor along with unsweetened non-dairy yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.