Vegan Ceviche (Hearts of Palm Ceviche) is a delicious appetizer made with hearts of palm, red onion, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and served with tortilla chips. Traditionally ceviche is made with white fish or shrimp. However, we’ve made this awesome recipe vegan by using hearts of palm as a substitute for fish. This Vegan Ceviche Recipe is truly one of the easiest and tastiest appetizers to make if you’re entertaining or just lounging around the house.
What We Love About This Recipe
- It’s Vegan! As I mentioned, this recipe traditionally includes small pieces of white fish or shrimp. However, I really enjoy Vegan Ceviche so much better; hearts of palm have a nice meaty texture that doubles for fish very well and they look like little bites of fish!
- So delicious! I love the simplicity of the flavors in this Vegan Ceviche Recipe. The tanginess from the lime and hearts of palm combined with avocado and red onion is so refreshing! Scoop up delicious bites with some good tortilla chips and you’re a happy camper!
- Healthy! This recipe is very healthy. Let’s take a look at the health benefits of one of the main ingredient in this dish: hearts of palm.
- Hearts of palm are loaded with antioxidants. (1)
- They are also packed with minerals such as potassium, iron, and zinc.
- Hearts of palm may also promote weight loss as they contain almost no fat and very few calories.
How to Make Hearts of Palm Ceviche
- Prepare your vegetables. Drain and rinse hearts of palm and cut all vegetables according to recipe instructions.
- Marinate onions. Place onion slices in a small bowl with lime juice and a pinch of salt; set aside.
- Toss all ingredients. Place hearts of palm, onion, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno in a serving bowl. Add in red onion and lime juice and gently toss to combine.
- Serve. Serve with tortilla chips. Add extra lime juice or salt as desired.
- Only cut and add avocado just before you’re ready to toss all ingredients. Avocado (as you’re aware) browns quickly when exposed to air.
- Be extra careful when tossing your ingredients because hearts of palm can break apart easily. It’s better to gently fold them in.
How to Store Vegan Ceviche
Because avocado browns quickly and loses it’s flavor, it’s best to eat Vegan Ceviche the day it’s made. However, if you’re planning on making a large batch in advance, you can prepare all ingredients (except the avocado) and store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Then, when you’re ready to serve it, you can add in the avocado, lime, and cilantro.
More Vegan Appetizers
- Beet Hummus
- Garlic Bread Recipe
- Beans on Toast
- Garlic Wedge Fries
- Tomato Toast
- Lemon Dill Hummus
- Avocado Toast with Sprouts
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
Vegan Ceviche (Hearts of Palm Ceviche) is a delicious appetizer made with hearts of palm, red onion, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and served with tortilla chips. Traditionally ceviche is made with white fish or shrimp. However, we've made this awesome recipe vegan by using hearts of palm as a substitute for fish. This is truly one of the easiest and tastiest appetizers to make if you're entertaining or just lounging around the house.
- 1/4 Cup red onion, sliced thin
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 oz.) Can hearts of palms, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup cucumber, sliced into quarters
- 1 Cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 1/4 Jalapeno, diced
- 1/4 Cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Avocado
- Cut red onion in half, then quarters, and thinly slice. Place onion into a small bowl, add lime juice and salt. Set aside and let marinate.
- Drain and rinse hearts of palm. Cut into 1/4-inch pieces. Cut cucumber lengthwise into quarters and then into 1/4- inch pieces. Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters. Dice jalapeno and finely chop cilantro. Cut avocado into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add all ingredients into a serving bowl, pour in onions and lime juice.
- Toss gently to combine and serve with tortilla chips.
- Add avocado just before serving.
- Be careful tossing ingredients. Hearts of palm will fall apart if handled too roughly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.
Leave a Reply