Our delicious Turmeric Smoothie, made with fresh turmeric, orange juice, banana, vanilla, and oat milk, has all the flavor of an Orange Julius and takes only minutes to make! This Turmeric Smoothie Recipe isn’t just delicious but vegan since we use oat milk instead of dairy. If you love orange juice and bananas, you’ll love this Banana Turmeric Smoothie. So, grab your blender and let’s make a Fresh Turmeric Banana Smoothie!
Before we begin, let me tell you a bit about how I developed this Banana Turmeric Smoothie. When I was a kid my mom used to take me to the mall with her. She would later tell me that my enthusiasm for these shopping excursions was something on par with attending a wake. Apparently all my boyhood joviality would drain from my face and I’d walk like a zombie in tow as she sought to make our trip as short as possible. There was, however, one thing she learned would cheer me up a bit, buying me an Orange Julius!
Flash forward to adulthood and me standing in the kitchen with a handful of fresh turmeric, trying (yet again) to include it in my smoothies because it’s healthy and yet the pungent flavor renders all my attempts unpalatable. I thought back on the best shake I’d had as a kid, old Mr. Julius, and remembered how good the vanilla flavor was and wondered at how successful it might be in hiding the taste of turmeric. Turns out it does a great job! I make this Turmeric Smoothie several times a week and it has a wonderful flavor such that you truly won’t notice the turmeric at all and I get to relive a happy memory of mom doing her best to keep her son happy.
Turmeric Smoothie Recipe
- Fresh Turmeric
- Orange juice
- Oat milk
How to Make a Turmeric Smoothie
- Blend all ingredients. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
Can I use Powdered Turmeric Instead?
Of course. I know everyone is busy and hunting down fresh turmeric may be not the best use of time so feel free to use powdered turmeric. Use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of powdered turmeric. Let’s talk about some other variations you can try as well.
Tips and Variations
- Pepper. Add some finely ground black pepper to your smoothie. Studies have shown that black pepper helps the body absorb turmeric more affectively (1).
- Add more fruit. Add some fresh mango, strawberries or pineapple for more flavor and antioxidants.
- Plant-based milk. Experiment with other plant based milks like almond milk or coconut milk.
- Ginger. Spice it up with some fresh ginger.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
The main active ingredient in Turmeric is curcumin, thus we’ll take a look at some of the health benefits associated with it.
- Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that can combat harmful cells in the body. (2)
- It’s also believed that curcumin may combat and even to some degree reverse heart disease. (3)
- One study found that patients with arthritis responded to doses of curcumin more positively than anti-inflammatory drugs. (4)
Thanks for joining us for another great Vegan Plate recipe! Here are some other healthy drinks you’ll love!
Healthy Drink Recipes
- Strawberry Orange Juice
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Spinach Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Matcha Smoothie
- Detox Tea Recipe
- Carrot Ginger Juice
- Acai Bowl
- Strawberry Milk
- Banana Milk
- Jasmine Tea
Our delicious Turmeric Smoothie, made with fresh turmeric, orange juice, banana, vanilla, and oat milk, has all the flavor of an Orange Julius and takes only minutes to make! This Turmeric Smoothie Recipe isn't just delicious but vegan since we use oat milk instead of dairy. If you love orange juice and bananas, you'll love this Banana Turmeric Smoothie. So, grab your blender and let's make a Fresh Turmeric Banana Smoothie!
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 (1-inch) piece of turmeric root, peeled
- 1/2 cup of ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.
Leave a Reply