Tomato Toast is a perfect snack or breakfast recipe that comes together quickly! Toasted bread, tomato slices, arugula, basil, garlic, and olive oil make these Tomato Toasts so delicious! Tomatoes on Toast are one of my favorite go-to snacks and you will love them too!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Only a few simple ingredients. Tomato Toasts are not just delicious but extremely easy to make. With only five simple ingredients you’ll be able to make these in under 10 minutes.
- A great snack to curb hunger cravings. If you’re like me you get hunger cravings at the worst times; I find mine come upon me right when I’m ready for bed. That’s why I love Tomato Toasts, they’re a healthy alternative to grabbing a bag of chips and they come together so quickly. This recipe also works well as a quick breakfast.
- So delicious! If you love tomatoes, this recipe will become a staple for you. There’s nothing better than ripe, juicy, fresh tomatoes on some good toasted bread. I love adding arugula as it gives the Tomato Toast a slight peppery flavor and it’s a great way of adding greens to your diet. The secret ingredient to making this snack even better is finely minced or crushed garlic which I sprinkle over the tomatoes for a punch of flavor.
- It’s a healthy snack alternative. This recipe includes several healthy ingredients, namely tomatoes, arugula, and garlic. All three ingredients are rich in antioxidants while tomatoes and garlic are believed to lower bad cholesterol. And, for an additional fun fact, chewing on arugula leaves freshens breath. (1)(2)
How to Make Tomato Toast
- Toast bread. This can be done using either a toaster or you can add some oil to a cast iron grill pan and toast the bread by cooking each side for roughly 2 minutes.
- Tomatoes and garlic. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and finely mince garlic or crush it using a garlic press.
- Assemble toast. Add ingredients to the toast in this order: arugula, tomatoes, sprinkle of garlic and salt, basil leaves, and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with freshly ground black pepper.
How to Grill Bread
- Heat grill pan. Using a cast iron grill pan, brush pan lightly with olive oil and heat over high for 2 to 3 minutes. Once the pan is hot reduce heat to medium.
- Cook bread. Add slices of bread to the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until dark grill marks appear.
- Remove bread from pan. Use a spatula to remove bread from the pan.
Recipe Tips and Variations
There are so many great variations for this Tomato Toast recipe. Here are just a few.
- Spread vegan mayonnaise over the toast.
- Garnish with finely chopped kalamata olives
- Use vegan pesto as a spread.
- Drizzle garlic oil over the toast. Here’s a great recipe for Garlic Oil.
More Healthy Vegan Snack Ideas
If you enjoyed this Tomato Toast recipe, here are some other great vegan snacks you’ll enjoy!
- Beans on Toast
- Garlic Wedge Fries
- Beet Hummus
- Vegan Ceviche
- Lemon Dill Hummus
- Avocado Toast with Sprouts
- Turmeric Balls
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
Tomato Toast is a perfect snack or breakfast recipe that comes together quickly! Toasted slices of bread, tomato slices, arugula, basil, garlic, and olive oil make these Tomato Toasts so delicious! Tomatoes on Toast are one of my favorite go-to snacks and you will love them too!
- 4 Slices of Italian or French bread
- 2 Tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1/2 Cup arugula
- 1/2 Cup basil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Toast bread using either a toaster or a cast iron grill pan coated with olive oil.
- While bread is toasting, cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices. Finely mince or crush garlic using a garlic press.
- Lightly brush toasted bread with olive oil and place arugula leaves, sliced tomatoes, crushed garlic, and basil leaves onto the toast.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.
Leave a Reply