Shirazi Salad, a classic Persian salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, mint, and parsley. This Shirazi Salad Recipe is light, refreshing, and works well as a side for most dishes. Salad e Shirazi is packed with rich Mediterranean flavors and, with minimal ingredients, comes together in just minutes. I am excited to share this recipe with you! So, let’s talk a bit about how to make this salad, where it comes from, and some of the health benefits of this recipe.
Shirazi Salad goes well with most dishes because it’s flavors are simple yet refreshing. The dressing, consisting of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt is also very light. The key to making this salad great is to cut the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion into bite-sized pieces. This enhances the overall look of the salad and also ensures that each bite contains a balance of all flavors. Because the flavors are more muted in this recipe, add a pinch of salt to brighten things up a bit. The mint in this Salad e Shirazi is a great addition since it really punctuates the overall refreshing quality of the salad.
Where Does Shirazi Salad Come From?
This salad, also called Salad e Shirazi, is Iranian in origin and derives its name from the city of Shiraz in southern Iran. It’s considered something of a national salad as it accompanies many Persian dishes. Because this salad doesn’t traditionally include any cheese or meat it’s naturally vegan.
Now, let’s talk about how to make this wonderful salad!
Shirazi Salad Recipe
- Roma tomatoes
- Persian (or English) cucumbers
- Green bell pepper
- Lime juice
How to Make Shirazi Salad
- Prepare salad. In a large mixing bowl, add cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, mint, and parsley; toss to combine.
- Prepare dressing. In a small mixing bowl, add lime juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper; whisk to combine.
- Combine and toss. Pour dressing over salad and toss well.
Tips and Variations
- Remove tomato seeds. It’s best to remove the seeds from tomatoes before including them in the Shirazi Salad because it helps maintain the crunchy texture which is the signature of this recipe.
- Chop vegetables uniformly. Make sure that you chop all vegetables roughly the same size. This will not only enhance the appearance of this salad but also ensures that each bite contains a balance of flavors.
- Add dressing just before serving. Again, we don’t want this salad to be soggy so it’s best to only include the dressing right before serving.
- Bell pepper optional. I know not everyone loves bell pepper, myself included. Feel free to exclude it.
Don’t forget to check out my recipe for Homemade Croutons to go with this salad recipe!
What Can I Serve with Shirazi Salad?
Because this salad is light and refreshing it goes well with a variety of dishes. Consider a soup and salad combination using some of our more popular recipes here!
These soups also work well with salad because they include protein which makes the meal well-balanced.
Is Salad e Shirazi Healthy?
Shirazi Salad is extremely healthy since it contains all fresh and nutrient-dense ingredients. Let’s take a look at the health attributes of just a few.
- Some studies suggest that cucumbers are a great source for antioxidants. (1)
- Studies have shown that tomatoes are beneficial for reducing inflammation. (2)
- Mint is helpful for relieving concerns related to indigestion. (3)
I hope you enjoy this Shirazi Salad as much as I do and that it becomes a staple around your household!
Vegan Salad Recipes
- Mango Avocado Salad
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Greek Potato Salad
- Strawberry Arugula Salad
- Mediterranean Salad
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Pasta Primavera
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Mixed Berry Salad
- Kale Caesar Salad
Shirazi Salad, a classic Persian salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, mint, and parsley. This Shirazi Salad Recipe is light, refreshing, and works well as a side for most dishes. Salad e Shirazi is packed with rich Mediterranean flavors and, with minimal ingredients, comes together in just minutes. I am excited to share this recipe with you! So, let's talk a bit about how to make this salad, where it comes from, and some of the health benefits of this recipe.
For the Salad
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1/4 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
For the Dressing
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, mint, and parsley; toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, add lime juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper; whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well to combine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.
Leave a Reply