Lentil Tacos have all the crunch, texture, and taste of any great street taco. This recipe uses Vegan Taco Meat made with lentils. Stuff your favorite taco shell with this easy-to-make Lentil Taco Meat, garnish with cheese and Pico De Gallo, and enjoy.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy to make. This Lentil Taco Recipe requires very little culinary expertise to make. Though they take a little longer to make than regular tacos, I’d say they are just as easy to fix up. After you dice up your onions and garlic, you’re mostly just pouring and stirring.
- Great taste and texture. The first bite I took of these Lentil Tacos was truly surprising. The combination of hard taco shell and warm mashed Lentil Taco Meat surely plays a trick on the senses and you’ll find yourself not missing regular taco meat at all. Especially if you break out your favorite spicy taco salsa. I promise you will love this recipe!
- Very healthy. The second thing I noticed about this Lentil Taco Recipe (aside from being extremely tasty) is how I felt after my plate was clear. I didn’t feel bogged down and sluggish but felt energized.
- Lentils are found to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (1).
- Olive oil
- Green lentils
- Taco seasoning
- Vegetable broth
- Taco shells
How To Make Lentil Tacos
- Sauté onions and garlic. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, stir in onion and garlic and cook until tender
- Taco seasoning. Add taco seasoning to onion and garlic mixture and stir throughout.
- Vegetable broth. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender.
- Thicken. Uncover skillet and cook off excess liquids until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly.
- Salsa. Stir in salsa
- Taco shells. Fill each taco shell with Vegan Taco Meat, garnish with vegan cheese, Pico De Gallo, Cilantro, and peppers.
- For a spicier Lentil Taco Meat, you can add either cayenne or a teaspoon of Chipotles in Adobo sauce.
- This dish works with soft taco shells as well though I prefer hard shells since it supports the lentil meat towards the overall authentic taco feel.
- Make sure, near the end of the recipe, you do take the cover off the skillet and cook the additional 8 minutes to ensure that the lentil meat is thick enough. You don’t want runny taco meat.
- Choose a salsa with a less-sugary taste. The reason this is important is salsa is one of the actual ingredients in the taco meat; a sugary salsa creates a sweeter taco meat which I don’t personally prefer.
- If you don’t have a favorite vegan cheese or aren’t a fan of vegan cheeses, you can omit garnishing with cheese and just double up on Pico or maybe add some avocado.
Looking for a great salsa to go with these Lentil Tacos?
Vegan Mexican Food Recipes
- Serrano Salsa
- Avocado Sauce
- Vegan Chimichangas
- How to Make Spanish Rice
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Salsa Taquera
- Fire Roasted Salsa
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Chipotle Sofritas
- Taco Salad
- Fajita Veggies
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Healthy Vegan Nachos
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
More Vegan Lentil Recipes
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 2/3 Cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 2/3 Cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 Cup salsa
- 12 Taco shells
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet on medium-high heat.
- Stir in onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in lentils and taco seasoning into the onion mixture and stir.
- Pour vegetable broth into the skillet and simmer until lentils are tender, roughly 25 minutes
- Uncover the skillet and cook until Lentil Taco Meat slightly thickens
- Mash lentils slightly
- Stir in salsa
- Place 1/4 cup of Lentil Taco Meat into taco shells and garnish with vegan cheese, cilantro, Pico De Gallo and peppers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g