Instant Pot Quinoa is a hands-free way of making the perfect, fluffy quinoa! With only 3 simple ingredients, this Quinoa Instant Pot Recipe doesn’t get any easier. So, grab your quinoa and join me as I show you not just How To Cook Quinoa in Instant Pot but the benefits of Cooking Quinoa in Instant Pot.
I use quinoa in so many recipes that having an Instant Pot is (for me) a must. Instant Pot Quinoa is truly one of the simplest recipes you can make and, if you’re a new vegan, this is probably the first recipe I would suggest you learn making. Quinoa was a staple early in my vegan journey. I made cereal, salads, and soups with it quite frequently; it’s very versatile and works well in so many dishes.
I’ll admit that I was skeptical at first about using an Instant Pot when this recipe is already so simple. However, I’m so glad I gave it a try. Using the Instant Pot made cooking quinoa even easier, if that’s possible! It’s not about the time you save but automation. As with many things, having a machine do the heavy lifting allows us to get more done. I love being able to throw basic ingredients into an Instant Pot and go do other things. It’s like having a kitchen assistant.
I love cooking a big batch of this perfectly fluffy quinoa over the weekend so I have plenty of it throughout the week. Quinoa in oat milk with honey drizzled over the top is breakfast for me most days.
- Quinoa – You can use any type of quinoa; red, white, black, and tricolor all cook well in the Instant Pot.
- Water – The correct ratio is always 1 cup of dried quinoa to 2 cups of water.
- Salt – add just a pinch. Salt enhances the overall flavor of quinoa.
How to Cook Quinoa in Instant Pot
- Rinse Quinoa. If you didn’t purchase pre-rinsed quinoa, add quinoa to a handheld sieve and rinse under cold water before cooking.
- Add Ingredients to Instant Pot. Add water, quinoa, and salt to Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Lock lid. Securely lock Instant Pot lid. Make sure the sealing valve is sealed. Consult the manual you received when you purchased your Instant Pot for further instruction.
- Cook Quinoa. Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. Please keep in mind that it will take 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to become pressurized before the cooking process begins.
- Release Pressure. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before removing the lid. You will know that the pressure has fully released because no more steam will be visibly seeping out of the Instant Pot.
In total with pressurization, cook time, and pressure release, this recipe will take roughly 20 minutes to cook.
How Much Cooked Quinoa Will This Recipe Make?
One cup of dried quinoa will yield roughly 3 cups of cooked quinoa.
Benefits Of Using An Instant Pot To Cook Quinoa
While it’s true that using an Instant Pot isn’t quicker than the stove top method, it’s easier. The hands-free experience of dumping in your ingredients and letting the machine do the work is what it’s all about. This will free you up to either complete preparation for other aspects of a meal you are cooking or simply allow you to go do something more productive than staring at a simmering pot. Also, when using an Instant Pot, you don’t ever have to worry about your quinoa sticking to the bottom; that alone is worth the the purchase.
Health Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa, a seed derived from the quinoa plant, is not just healthy but gluten-free. For vegans, quinoa is a great source of protein because it contains all nine essential amino acids which makes it a complete protein. Quinoa also contains anti-inflammatory properties which help combat disease. Finally, quinoa is high in fiber which produces a feeling of fullness thereby curbing appetite and promoting a healthy weight. (1)
Also be sure to check out my Instant Pot Jasmine Rice recipe!
More Easy Quinoa Recipes
- 1 Cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Cups water
- Pinch of salt
- Using a handheld sieve, rinse quinoa under cold water.
- Pour water, quinoa, and salt and into the Instant Pot and briefly stir.
- Lock Instant Pot lid securely and make sure the sealing valve is set to sealed. Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. Please note that it will take roughly 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to become pressurized before it begins cooking the quinoa.
- Use natural release on the pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Once the steam has completely dissipated, carefully remove lid.
For additional Instant Pot operating instructions, please consult the manual you received when you purchased your Instant Pot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.