This Chipotle Fajita Veggies Recipe copycat is a delicious and easy-to-make side to compliment any Tex-Mex dish. Veggie Fajitas are made with an assortment of bell peppers, red onion, garlic, and oregano.
I love Chipotle because they have a variety of plant-based options for vegans like me. For example, when I get a craving for meat, I order their Chipotle Sofritas, tofu braised in a smoky tomato sauce. I also love their Veggie Fajitas so I thought I’d try to mimic those as well and did a darn good job of it!
This Veggie Fajita Recipe is very simple and made similar to most fajita recipes. The key spice in this recipe is oregano and I’ve personally added a little minced garlic to enhance the flavor. Beyond that, it’s a rather basic fajita recipe.
- Bell pepper – Feel free to use red, green, and yellow. The more color the better.
- Red onion – I love using red onion for fajitas; the flavor is more mild and the brilliant purple color looks great!
- Olive oil – Make sure you use extra virgin olive oil; the flavor is mild and smooth.
- Cilantro – Used as a garnish. Adds a nice freshness and compliments the flavors well.
- Garlic – This is my own addition to the recipe. I find garlic makes most recipes better. I use only a couple cloves.
- Oregano – the signature spice used by Chipotle; it really gives their veggies and authentic Mexican flavor.
How To Make Chipotle Fajita Veggies
- Prepare veggies. Cut bell peppers and onions into slices. I have a quick tutorial on how to cut bell peppers just below.
- Sauté veggies. Add olive oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high. Add sliced bell pepper and onion; sauté for 8 minutes until veggies begin to caramelize and become tender.
- Add seasoning. When veggies are near done, add garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper; sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the to your burrito bowl for some color and extra flavor.
- Tuck them inside your favorite burrito.
- These veggies are also the perfect side for many recipes. Serve them alongside my Chipotle Sofritas, Lentil Tacos, or Vegan Chimichangas.
- Serve with my favorite salsas, Serrano Salsa, Salsa Taquera, Fire Roasted Salsa
- Top with a scoop of guacamole or fresh avocado slices.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Drizzle some of my Avocado Sauce over the top.
How To Cut Bell Peppers For Veggie Fajitas
- Cut off tops and bottoms of peppers.
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds using a spoon or scrape them out using the edge of a knife.
- Slice each half into strips.
How To Sauté Veggies
The key here is to get your pan very hot so that when you add the olive oil you will notice the oil glimmering and spreading out easily over the surface of the pan. After adding your veggies make sure you stir them frequently; some blackening is ok but they should remain slightly crisp. Cook for roughly 5 to 10 minutes until they become caramelized but maintain their color.
While I’ve tried to make this recipe as close to the version enjoyed by most fans of Chipotle, here are some other seasonings you might consider if you don’t mind deviating from the original recipe just a bit.
- Adobo seasoning
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic and onion powder
- Chili powder
Health Benefits Of Bell Peppers
Loaded with nutrients, bell peppers are extremely healthy. Here are some of the health benefits. Bell peppers are…
- A great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium, and B6.
- High in fiber which promotes digestive health.(1)
- Loaded with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Low in calories and high in fiber which promotes healthy weight.
- Beneficial for promoting heart health.(2)
This Recipe Is…
Vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Looking For More Healthy Mexican Recipes?
- Taco Salad
- How To Make Spanish Rice
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
For more recipes, visit our Mexican Recipes page!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Large bell peppers, seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 1 Medium red onion, sliced
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 Cup cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare veggies by cutting bell peppers and onions into slices.
- Add olive oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add sliced bell peppers and onions and sauté for 8 minutes until tender but still slightly crisp.
- Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; cook for an additional 2 minutes.
How To Cut Bell Peppers
- Cut off both bottom and top of bell pepper.
- Slice in half.
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon or scrape them out with edge of a knife.
- Slice each half into strips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.