Chipotle Sofritas is a Mexican style dish of braised tofu in a spicy tomato sauce. The inspiration for this dish comes from the fast food restaurant Chipotle. This Chipotle Sofritas Recipe is a great vegan alternative to chicken or beef and can be easily turned into a Chipotle Sofritas Bowl by adding beans, corn, rice, and some good guacamole.
What I love About This Recipe
- Easy to make. Very little preparation is involved in making this Chipotle Sofritas Recipe. You’ll need a good food processor because it’ll be doing most of the work.
- Amazing flavors. If you love the food at Chipotle you will love this dish. The tofu has a slightly smoky and spicy flavor, signature of most of the dishes served at Chipotle. This comes from the adobo sauce, chili powder, and slightly blackened tofu. Our recipe here mimics the original recipe closely.
- It’s vegan. This dish is perfect if you have a craving for chicken or any meaty dish. We used extra firm tofu in this recipe which enhances the meaty texture.
- It’s healthy. Tofu is a great meat substitute. Let’s take a look at a few of the health benefits of tofu.
What is Sofritas?
Chipotle Sofritas is a popular protein option served at the fast food restaurant Chipotle. If you’ve never been to Chipotle they specialize in serving burrito bowls and burritos wherein you choose the ingredients you want, typically beef or chicken, pinto or black beans. However, much to the delight of the vegan world, they started providing a plant based meat option which is Sofritas. Sofritas is simply a braised tofu which is cooked in a spicy adobo tomato sauce. It’s extremely delicious and surprisingly so good that even non-vegans have started enjoying it as their favorite.
How to Make Chipotle Sofritas
- Remove moisture from tofu. Wrap tofu in a paper towel, set in a bowl, and place a moderately heavy object (such as a small pot) on top of the tofu. Let sit for 10 minutes until the moisture drains from the tofu.
- Make tofu marinade. With a food processor blend all ingredients (except tofu and oil) using the pulse feature so marinade remains thick and chunky.
- Blacken tofu. Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook tofu slices, flipping occasionally, until they are slightly blackened on both sides, roughly 10 minutes.
- Break tofu into small pieces. Use a food processor and pulse tofu until broken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Cook tofu in marinade. Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu and marinade and cook until flavors combine and tofu is warm, about 10 minutes.
How to Make a Chipotle Sofritas Bowl
Turning this Chipotle Sofritas Recipe into a bowl is quite simple, just add some of your favorite sides! Here are some suggestions.
- Pinto beans
- Guacamole or avocado slices
- Grilled bell pepper
- Grilled onions
If you’re thinking of adding rice to your bowl, we’ve got a great recipe for How to Make Spanish Rice.
Here are some other great vegan Mexican dishes!
- 1 (16 oz.) Package extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into slices
- 1 (4 oz.) Can diced green chiles
- 1/2 Medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Medium Roma tomato, quartered
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 Teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Add all ingredients, except tofu and olive oil, into a food processor and pulse several times to combine. Don't over blend; sauce should be on the thick and chunky side.
- Using a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high and add tofu slices. Cook, flipping occasionally, until both sides of each slice are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add tofu to a food processor and pulse slightly, breaking tofu into small bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a separate pan over medium-high and add tofu and a ladle full of sauce. Reduce heat and let simmer until flavors are combined and tofu is warm, about 10 minutes. Add more sauce as desired.
Press Tofu Before Cooking:
It's important to remove most of the moisture from the tofu before cooking it. Here's how.
- Wrap tofu in paper towels and place in a shallow bowl.
- Set a heavy object (such as a small pot) on top of the tofu for 10 to 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 301mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.