This is a healthy and easy to make Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe. It’s perfect for both dinners and lunch. Made with all vegan ingredients and loaded with protein, this Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a great choice for those on a plant based diet.
This is a perfect dinner or lunch recipe that even your non-vegan friends will love. The flavor and texture so closely resemble a good tuna salad sandwich that they won’t care! Not only is it delicious but it’s one of the easiest recipes to make. With only a few simple ingredients, minimal preparation, and almost no cleanup time, this is the perfect recipe to throw together when you don’t know what to do for dinner, which is often for me.
This is also a perfect recipe for meal prep. In fact, I’ll make up a big batch so I can have this Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich throughout the week!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Canned Chickpeas – Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber.
- Vegan Mayonnaise – My favorite vegan mayo is made by Best Foods; it tastes exactly the same as their regular mayo.
- Celery – Diced into small pieces.
- Red Onion – Red onion adds a nice little kick of spiciness to the concoction.
- Lemon Juice – Use fresh squeezed only.
- Dried Dill – This is one of the key ingredients.
- Parsley – Chopped finely.
- Garlic – You can either used freshly minced garlic or a quarter teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Bread – I used brioche for my sandwich but you can use any of your favorite breads. A good baguette would be amazing for this recipe!
- Lettuce – You can also use sprouts or arugula instead of lettuce.
How To Make Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Mash Chickpeas. Use either a food processor to break down chickpeas or place them in a bowl and mash them with a potato masher or fork.
- Mix All Ingredients Together. Add mashed chickpeas, vegan mayonnaise, red onion, celery, dill, fresh squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic, and parsley into large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Assemble Sandwich. Add chickpea salad to your favorite sandwich bread and assemble with toppings.
Recipe Variations and Toppings
- Add some shredded carrot to the salad mixture.
- Spice things up by adding some hot sauce or chipotle aioli.
- Top with dill pickles or pepperoncini.
- Garnish with microgreens or sprouts.
- Substitute fresh dill for dried.
- Add some diced kalamata olives to the mix.
For those on a gluten-free diet, there are several ways to eat Chickpea Salad. You can tear off some leaves from a head of butter leaf lettuce and use them as scoops to hold the salad. Add a nice generous scoop to your next house salad. Also, there are plenty of great gluten-free crackers on the market; I love eating this salad with crackers!
Or, just grab a spoon and start eating; it’s that good!
Is This Sandwich Healthy?
Except for the bread, yes! Chickpeas are not only a great source of protein but loaded with nutrients. One cup of chickpeas contains roughly 15 grams of protein. Chickpeas may also promote weight loss because their high fiber content causes a feeling of fullness which helps to curb appetite. They are also a great source of magnesium and potassium, which supports heart health. (1)
Looking For More Vegan Lunch Ideas?
For The Salad
- 2 (15 ounce) Cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup celery, diced
- 1/4 Cup red onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill
- 1/4 Cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
For The Sandwich
- Place canned chickpeas into a food processor and, using pulse, break them down into small pieces. You can also place chickpeas into a large bowl and mash them using either fork or potato masher.
- Add mashed chickpeas, vegan mayonnaise, celery, red onion, lemon juice, dried dill, parsley, and minced garlic into a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Make a sandwich using chickpea salad, your favorite bread, lettuce, and toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.