Beet Hummus is a great appetizer idea! Made with fresh beets, chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. With only a few ingredients and minimal preparation, this truly is an Easy Beet Hummus Recipe!
What I love About This Recipe
- It’s so easy to make. You only have a few simple ingredients and none of them require any significant preparation. You may only have to do a little chopping if you’re serving Beet Hummus with veggies.
- Amazing flavor! While I love beets, I’m aware that not everyone is a fan. However, this recipe only calls for one small beet so the beet flavor isn’t overpowering! The signature flavors are garlic, chickpeas, and lemon. When blended well it’s extremely creamy and spreads over veggies and chips perfectly!
- This Beet Hummus Recipe is healthy! Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Beets are also believed to lower blood pressure and some studies have also shown that beets enhance athletic performance!(1)(2)
How to Make Beet Hummus (brief overview)
- Peel beets. Make sure you peel the beet before steaming.
- Place a steamer basket inside a small pot and fill it with water up to the steamer basket.
- Steam beet for roughly 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Open a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse.
- Place beet, chickpeas, garlic cloves (peeled), salt, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend on high.
- Pour in olive oil while the hummus is blending.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
I omitted tahini from this recipe since I’m not personally a big fan but prefer a more garlic/chickpea flavored hummus. So, you may want to consider adding tahini if you enjoy it. Many recipes include up to 2 tablespoons of tahini.
Looking for more healthy appetizers and dips?
- Garlic Wedge Fries
- Serrano Salsa
- Vegan Ceviche
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Fire Roasted Salsa
- Salsa Taquera
- Tomato Toast
- Lemon Dill Hummus
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Healthy Vegan Nachos
- 1 Small beet, peeled and steamed
- 1 (15 oz.) Can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Large lemon, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Place a steamer basket into a small pot. Fill the pot with water just below the steamer basket. Place your small beet in the basket, cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook beet for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add beet, chickpeas, garlic, salt, and lemon juice to a food processor. Blend on high while pouring olive oil into the food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Many recipes call for tahini to be added. While we omitted it in this recipe, you can add 2 tablespoons.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.