Turn potatoes, vegan butter, one onion, and vegetable broth into a rich and creamy soup with this 4 Ingredient Potato Soup recipe! Few ingredients but loads of flavor! You’ll love this Simple Potato Soup Recipe; it’s quick and easy!
What Is 4 Ingredient Potato Soup?
4 Ingredient Potato Soup is a Quick and Easy Potato Soup. It’s about comfort food. It’s about working with the few ingredients you have left in your fridge instead of taking a trip to the store. Also, it’s about families making warm, hearty foods on cold days when bad weather makes opening the front door inadvisable. In short, this humble, delicious, and filling soup will create warm smiles on dreary days.
What I Love About This Recipe
- It’s filling. It only takes one bowl and you’re full!
- It’s delicious. Silky, smooth, buttery onion and potato.
- There will be left-overs. Because this soup is so filling, there are often leftovers.
- It’s a healthier version. Most 4 Ingredient Potato Soup recipes call for milk which makes them less healthy. Also, this soup is loaded with onions which are very healthy; onions are high in antioxidants and may help to strengthen bones.(1)(2)
- It’s vegan. I use only plant-based ingredients.
- It’s dairy-free. I use vegan butter instead of cream in this recipe.
- It’s gluten-free. However, if you add croutons it won’t be.
- It’s cheap to make. In total, this 4 ingredient Potato Soup will cost between $15 and $20 to make. You get about 8 bowls out of it. That’s about $2.50 per bowl. Not bad!
- Potatoes – Use either Russet or Yukon Gold.
- Onion – Use white or yellow onion.
- Vegan butter – I use vegan butter and not cream or milk. It also makes the soup silkier and adds a lot of flavor.
- Vegetable broth – If you don’t like the flavor of vegetable broth you can add half veggie broth and half water. That’s what I did for this recipe.
How To Make 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Cut up veggies. Cut potatoes and onions roughly the same size, 1-inch pieces.
- Cook potatoes and onions. Add your cut up potatoes and onion slices into a Dutch oven or large pot. Add vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes and onion are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend soup. Use a handheld blender to blend up most of the soup. Do not blend all of the soup so that there are some chunks of potato. Leave about 1/4 of the soup unblended.
What Type Of Potatoes Should I Use?
4 Ingredient Potato Soup is meant to be creamy. That’s why it’s best to use potatoes that contain more starch. Thus Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes, both starchy, work best for this recipe.
This Quick and Easy Potato Soup can be made many ways. Here are just a few ideas.
- Make it even more creamy by adding Vegan Heavy Cream instead of vegan butter.
- If you love garlic, add in a few cloves instead of onion.
- Make it Indian style by using coconut milk and curry instead of onion and butter.
- Add some heat! Throw in a few jalapenos instead of butter.
Other Ways To Blend This Soup
You may not have a handheld blender. That’s ok, I’ve got you covered. You can also use a basic blender. You won’t be able to blend all the soup at once. However, you can blend it in batches. Lastly, let the soup cool off a bit before you pour it into the blender.
How To Serve 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
You may be asking “what is that green stuff he drizzled on top of his soup in the photos?” It’s my Easy Chimichurri Sauce! It’s my favorite way to eat this soup. This sauce is simply cilantro, parsley, shallot, and garlic blended up with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Trust me, it’s so good! It adds a punch of garlic and herb flavor to the soup. You have to try it! Here are some other ideas.
- Garnish your soup southern style with vegan cheese, vegan bacon, and green onions.
- Serve this soup with some good French bread!
- Toss in some croutons.
- Serve it with a light salad like my Shirazi Salad, Chopped Kale Salad, Kale Caesar Salad, or Tomato Cucumber Salad.
Store in an airtight jar or dish in the fridge for up to 4 days. Additionally, this soup will keep well in the freezer for up to a month. However, make sure to use a freezer bag.
I hope you enjoyed this simple soup recipe! I have more great soups here at the Vegan Plate!
More Vegan Soups and Stews
- Cauliflower Soup
- Cabbage Soup
- Shipwreck Stew
- Beans in Tomato Sauce
- White Bean Tomato Soup
- Vegan Red Lentil Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Pozole Verde
- Moroccan Harira Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- White Bean Chili
- Thai Coconut Soup
You can find all my soup recipes on my Soups page.
4 Ingredient Potato Soup
Turn potatoes, vegan butter, one onion, and vegetable broth into a rich and creamy soup with this 4 Ingredient Potato Soup recipe! Few ingredients but loads of flavor! You'll love this Simple Potato Soup Recipe; it's quick and easy!
- 6 Large Russet potatoes, sliced
- 1 Large yellow onion, sliced
- 7 Cups vegetable broth
- 8 Tablespoons vegan butter
- Slice potatoes and onion into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Add sliced potatoes, onion, and vegetable broth to a large pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes and onion are tender, roughly 20 minutes.
- Use a handheld blender (immersion blender) to blend roughly 3/4 of the soup leaving some of it chunky with visible pieces of potato.
- Serve garnished with croutons.
- If you don't like the flavor of vegetable broth you can use 4 cups of vegetable broth and 3 cups of water instead.
- If you don't have an immersion blender you can use a basic blender and blend up the soup in batches. Make sure that you let the soup cool slightly before blending it up.
- When using the immersion blender, make sure it is fully submerged in the vegetable broth before you turn it on. Otherwise soup will splatter everywhere.
- Toppings: vegan cheese, vegan bacon, green onions, and croutons.
- Serve with French bread.
- Serve with a salad.
4 Ingredient Potato Soup should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for no longer than 4 days. You can also use freezer bags to freeze this soup for up to a month. To thaw the soup, simply place the freezer bag in the refrigerator overnight.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 615mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
The Vegan Plate attempts to provide accurate information. However, this nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The nutritional information provided comes from online sources and calculations.
Leave a Reply